Nowadays chia seeds are a top superfood health gurus swear by. After chia became very popular as a superfood, companies have discovered that it goes beyond just a superfood that can be turned into chia pudding and eaten for breakfast. Namely, they have thought about using this potent food externally for skin nourishment, and now chia seeds have found their way into many cosmetic products in the form of extracted oil.
However, not all chia seeds are extracted into oil equally, and not all beauty products are formulated with the right ingredients. But before I go on and tell you more about the brand that developed a special way to extract and preserve the oil from the chia seeds in a way that conserves all the goodness inside, let me tell you a little bit more of why chia seeds are considered a superfood in the first place.
- ANTIAGING: Using chia seed oil as part of your beauty regime prevents premature skin aging due to inflammation and free radical damage. The reason lies in its high antioxidant content about which scientists have discovered that is twice higher than in any other food. The antioxidants in chia seed oil can speed up the skin’s repair systems and prevent further damage.
- ANTI-INFLAMMATORY: Many researchers link the high levels of magnesium in chia seeds to reducing inflammation associated with acne. This natural element also relaxes the nervous system and regulates cortisol, the stress hormone that wreaks havoc on skin.
- MOISTURIZATION: The oil extracted from chia seeds has amazing benefits for the skin. Chia seed oil is clinically proven to increase the skin’s hydration. It reduces trans-epidermal water loss and prevents moisture loss in even the driest of skin.
- BOOSTING COLLAGEN PRODUCTION: Omega-3 fatty acids present in chia seeds give your skin a youthful look as it increases the collagen levels which in turn helps to improve your skin’s firmness.
- HEALING PROPERTIES: With their high levels of zinc, chia seeds regulate and boost the healing and repair of dead skin cells. This way you can get rid of acne scars and other imperfection on the surface of your skin.
Now that you know some of the amazing chia seeds benefits for the skin, it’s time to go shopping for the products that contain chia seeds oil, right? Not.So.Fast! You see, not all products out there have the same high-quality chia seed extract in them, and more importantly, not everyone extracts the oil from these magical seeds in the same way that prevents oxidation and loss of value. Which is why today I wanted to talk about a very promising beauty brand called Maya Chia.
How it all began
The story of the brand began when the founder Susanne Norwitz started doing a more in-depth research into the reason why Mayans included the Chia seed in their daily food consumption above all. In fact, Mayans used this seed to trade and pay for good which shows its great value. The discoveries (as you’ve seen by the benefits above) were astonishing, so much that she wanted to spread the knowledge and bring the best of the seeds to everyone interested in improving their skin health.
The making of Maya Chia
The Maya Chia company found a way to extract the oil through a process called supercritical extraction. A process that is unique to this company and is now patented, meaning that the quality of the chia seed oil you get in their products cannot be found in any other beauty product.
Going a bit further into the technical part (I won’t make you bored, I promise!), the process of extracting the oil is very gentle and excludes oxygen to prevent oxidation of the oil which causes it to go rancid and lose its benefits. What you get is a potent chia oil completely free of chemical residues, in its purest, most natural form.
Before going into our most loved products by this brand, I thought it’s worth noting that Susanne donates a portion of the net profits from the Maya Chia to charitable organizations that help build schools and farms for the Maya people. It is a kind way to give back to the community that somehow brought her to this discovery in the first place. Now, onto the jewels of her beauty line:
The Super Couple is a multi-correctional high-performance ultra luxe face oil serum combining one of the world’s most powerful antioxidants, astaxanthin, with nature’s #1 superfood, chia, rich with skin-loving omega fatty acids, antioxidants & minerals. Astaxanthin is an anti-aging powerhouse to combat the appearance of dull, tired, aging skin.
- Named one of the best face oils for glowing skin by The Zoe Report
- Maya Chia’s The Super Couple was named by People Magazine as one of the 20 Face Oils That Will Change Your Life (or At Least Your Beauty Routine)
- Named one of the best new products of the year by Well+Good
- Chosen as one of the “top 10 Face Oils” & “One of the 100 Healthiest Beauty product for your skin” by Spirituality and Health Magazine Summer 2016
The Optimist provides a powerful, yet weightless, boost of hydration for the appearance of plumper, deeply moisturized more luminous skin. It is expressly designed to work effortlessly into your regimen, combining the lightweight feel of a mist, with the high-performance ingredients of an essence.
“It is more than a mist. It is what we call, The Optimist.”
Pure supercritical omega-3 chia seed oil is for anyone who wants to deeply moisturize their skin – naturally. This face oil is ultra lightweight, soothing and quickly absorbs without any greasy feeling. Reduces the appearance of fine lines. Skin feels smooth and radiant upon rapid absorption.
- Named one of the Best Face Oils by Goop
- “Basically the definition of a skin-care superhero” – Well + Good
THE EYE ACHIEVER is a highly concentrated, multi-correctional eye serum expressly created to treat the delicate skin around the contour. It is a fast-absorbing, yet potent, infusion of the most nutrient-dense ingredients (see the list here). This eye serum will revitalize, brighten, and restore the appearance of firmness and resiliency while intensely moisturizing and protecting the delicate skin around the eyes.
“It is our overachiever, or what we call, The Eye Achiever.”
Have you tried some of the Maya Chia products before? And what’s your results been like? What’s your experience with chia seeds overall? Share your thoughts and tips in the comments below.
To Your Revitalized Skin,